I caught myself wanting more risk.
I have been wondering whether the portfolio has become too safe.
Nuclear felt familiar. Memory felt like the thing I should be paying more attention to. Somewhere between the two was the irritating possibility that I had confused being patient with taking my eye off the opportunity.
That deserves an honest look.
A familiar company can still be expensive. A concentrated position can still be dangerous. And a stock I wish I owned more of can still be a poor purchase at the next available price.
My level of excitement does not measure any of those things particularly well.
Then the week supplied an unusually boring competitor: a 10-year Treasury yielding roughly five percent at Friday’s close.[2]
No launch livestream. No factory tour. No chief executive explaining why the addressable market is larger than the current economy.
Just a return against which the rest of the portfolio has to make sense.
Last issue put a price on waiting. This week, I want to know when waiting deserves another dollar—and when something else deserves it more.
The hurdle rose. Growth did not disappear.
On Wednesday, the Fed raised its target range by a quarter point to 3.75%–4.00%. All twelve voters agreed. The statement described solid economic activity and inflation that remained elevated.[1]
For frontier companies, the implication is straightforward: profits expected years from now face a more demanding comparison with returns available sooner.
That does not make every long-term investment unattractive. A business can improve fast enough to overcome a higher discount rate. But “the future is enormous” needs help from the numbers.
Its market price can fall when yields rise. Selling before maturity can produce a loss. A yield near 5% is not a guaranteed return over the next twelve months, and it is not necessarily what short-term cash earns.[3]
The useful comparison is the expected return over the investment’s holding period, with enough compensation for the additional risk. A speculative stock merely matching a Treasury would be a disappointing reward for all that blood pressure.
Meanwhile, the week’s index returns refused to tell one neat story.
Friday-to-Friday index performance, as reported by AP.[4]
My read: investors remained willing to own parts of the growth story while becoming less generous elsewhere. Those four numbers cannot tell us exactly why each stock moved, much less which one is cheap.
A green week earns a look. The business and the valuation still have to earn the purchase.
A better company can still be a worse investment.
This is the part that enthusiasm keeps trying to skip.
Earnings can improve while the price investors are willing to pay for each dollar of earnings falls. Both can happen at once.
= share price −12%
1.10 × 0.80 = 0.88. All else equal; excludes dividends. P/E is the share price divided by earnings per share.
The business delivered. The investor still lost money.
That is why I am interested in the distance between what a company could reasonably earn and what its stock already assumes. Higher rates make that distance harder to ignore.
Three names give me three different ways to examine it.
Scarcity is attractive. Paying for permanence is less so.
I understand the appeal of memory. AI systems need it. When customers need more than suppliers can readily deliver, the supplier has an unusually pleasant negotiating position.
The temptation is to take the best version of that business and extend it indefinitely.
Micron’s next earnings call is Wednesday, September 30, at 4:30 p.m. Eastern. That is the next scheduled test.[5]
I want to hear how much high-bandwidth-memory demand is supported by firm commitments, how pricing and product mix translate into cash, and how much spending comes before the next stage of growth.
Then I want to make the assumptions less flattering.
What if pricing cools? What if new capacity arrives faster than demand? What if the company has to keep spending while margins come down?
A memory stock can look cheap against unusually strong earnings precisely when those earnings deserve the most scrutiny. Seagate stays in the wider storage discussion, but hard drives and memory chips need their own supply-and-demand work.
There is also a concrete operating risk to monitor. Reuters reported that Micron’s Taiwan unions were pressing for permanent profit sharing and preparing for possible strike action. That report establishes a dispute and a threat, not a confirmed production stoppage. The potential effects on output and costs deserve attention.[6]
Stronger sustainable cash generation than the valuation appears to assume, including a less favorable memory cycle.
A price that needs exceptional conditions to continue almost uninterrupted.
I am willing to revisit memory without demanding that the stock return to the price I preferred.
Familiar is a feeling. Position size is a number.
BWXT is the place to challenge my own “too safe” complaint.
The attraction is established nuclear manufacturing: demanding work, difficult qualifications, and capabilities that cannot be reproduced just because capital becomes interested.
But I can like the business and still need to examine how much of the portfolio depends on it.
Last issue described a one-share BWXT trim. That is historical context, not a fresh trade announcement. The question behind it remains useful: what would make me choose this position size today?
Investor Day begins Tuesday, September 29, at 8:30 a.m. Eastern. I want the capacity plans connected to delivery schedules, margins, and cash generation.[7]
A backlog is work promised. Shareholders still need it delivered profitably. More capacity is useful if the return on building it justifies the money and time involved.
Credible evidence that expansion improves future cash generation after the required investment.
Too much portfolio exposure, weaker expected returns at the prevailing price, or a materially better use of capital.
None of those requires BWXT to become a bad company.
My next comparison is therefore specific: the prospective return from another dollar in BWXT versus memory, a Growth candidate, or cash. Calling one “Core” and another “exciting” does not do the comparison for me.
The rocket flew. The share count matters too.
Rocket Lab completed its 96th Electron mission, its 17th launch of 2026, for Synspective. The mission launched on September 19 in New Zealand—late Friday evening in U.S. Eastern time, after the regular stock-market close.[8]
That belongs in the weekend update. It cannot explain a closing price that happened before the launch.
I like repeated execution. Eventually, difficult things done reliably start to look like a business rather than an event.
But the other announcement deserves equal billing. On September 15, Rocket Lab said it had completed a $1.944 billion at-the-market equity offering and fully financed the pending Iridium acquisition. Closing was still expected in mid-2027, subject to conditions.[9]
The funding gap narrowed. Existing shareholders also have more shares to account for, along with completion and integration risk.
The investment question becomes: how much eventual cash flow belongs to each share after paying for the expansion?
A larger company is useful to me when the economics of the share I own improve with it.
That is where I would focus the next round of Rocket Lab research: updated share count, funding terms, cash needs through closing, and realistic returns from the combined business.
Operational progress earns attention. Better prospective returns per share can earn capital.
The existing positions have to interview again.
This is the useful change to the process.
A new idea usually gets interrogated. An existing holding can sit there enjoying diplomatic immunity because I have explained the thesis enough times to become attached to it.
I want both in the same interview.
What return could it plausibly deliver, what can go wrong, and what price makes the risk worthwhile?
Would I choose it today at its current size? What evidence keeps it ahead of the alternative?
What do I earn while waiting, how accessible is the money, and what opportunity would make me deploy it?
Then include the tax and trading costs of making a switch. An attractive new story still has to improve the actual portfolio.
If cash remains thin, a purchase needs fresh money or a deliberate sale. That is a constraint to solve. It is not a lifetime guarantee for whatever already occupies the account.
The four tiers still have jobs.
| Tier | What it must earn | What I protect against |
|---|---|---|
| Core | A durable source of cash and a price that leaves room for a return. | Concentration hiding inside a familiar business. |
| Growth | Evidence that expansion improves shareholder economics. | Growth that consumes more capital than it creates value. |
| Speculative | A credible path through the unresolved business or funding questions. | A position too large to survive being wrong. |
| Moonshot | Enough plausible upside to justify a deliberately small experiment. | Depending on an outcome that may never arrive. |
Pre-revenue and sub-$5 ideas stay in the seasoning conversation. A small share price tells me almost nothing about whether a company is cheap; it may instead be distressed.
A bounce does not promote a company through the tiers. A measurable change in its economics might.
Portfolio accounting: this edition does not publish a new brokerage reconciliation. Earlier account values, weights, and trade notes remain historical. No fresh trade or current portfolio return is being reported here.
Two dates. Different questions.
8:30 a.m. ET
4:30 p.m. ET
Before either event, I want a written view of what would improve the case and what would damage it. Afterward, I want to compare the new evidence with the new price.
There is no prize for deciding the presentation was bullish before checking what the market now charges for it.
“Do nothing” can become a very comfortable thesis.
Sometimes holding is exactly right. Sometimes it is what happens when I stop asking whether the alternatives have improved.
The mirror-image mistake is just as easy: see something moving, invent urgency, and call the resulting trade research.
I want the same burden of proof on both decisions. Buying needs a reason. Continuing to allocate the same amount of money to the same position needs one too.
Discipline has to remain capable of changing its mind.
I may be antsy. I may also need to do the work.
I do not want to dismiss the feeling that I am missing something just because “be patient” sounds more mature.
It very well may be that memory deserves more attention. It may be that nuclear deserves less concentration. It may be that the portfolio is positioned reasonably and I have been giving someone else’s winners too much screen time.
Those possibilities require different actions. I have to investigate before choosing one.
The strongest versions of this journal have admitted when a good result made a messy decision look better than it was. The same honesty applies when nothing happens. A quiet account is not proof of a careful process.
So the immediate job is concrete: refresh the actual holdings, compare the next dollar across the best candidates, and use the September 29–30 reports to update the case.
I still want ambitious companies. I want room for the one that surprises me. I also want enough cash and enough humility to act when the evidence changes.
Make the next dollar earn its move.